Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Topic 8

TASK 2
Staphylococcus, also known as staph, is bacteria that is almost always found on the skin and in the nose of pretty much healthy people. For the most part, they look like pimples or boils on the skin, which causes red and swollen and may include pus in the boils/pimples. (I know, it’s disgusting). Anyways, sometimes staph can have more sever and harmful reactions than the boils which are but not limited to the infection spreading into the lungs, heart, bones, or even spread through the body in the blood stream. There are even some types of staff that are resistant to medicine, such as MRSA (Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. This sounds awful, I know, but in most cases it only happens in hospitals, health care facilities (nursing homes, etc.). Basically to sum it up, it finds its way to people who have very weak immune systems.
This could be very dangerous for a daycare environment. The children touch everything and put everything, so this staff could definitely be passed with ease among the children. Also, although I know that it is very unlikely, the MRSA could get to the children if they were exposed to it somehow, because children DO have very weak immune systems. They are always catching each other’s colds and getting sick.


TASK 3
Since my post was about sicknesses that children can get, I decided that I would kind of talk about realization that I had. Today I was in the daycare and these children had runny noses and were coughing horribly, and that really highlights the fact that we REALLY have to sanitize everything that's in the room at the end of the day. We do this anyways (of course), but the reasoning behind it is VERY important. If the children don't get sick that day from sneezing and coughing on each other, then they more than likely will get sick the next day if we didn't sanitize everything.
Anyways, it's still going really well at the daycare, and I'm sad that I only have a little while longer to inter there! Although it's coming to an end, I almost feel like I would be welcome there regardless of my internship(:

No comments:

Post a Comment